Steel Rope Slings are among the main lifting and pulling materials needed by many businesses today. It is possible to manufacture in many different combinations and varieties and provides ease in lifting and pulling operations.
Selection of steel wire rope sling
Steel rope slings should be chosen in a way to carry the load without creating danger according to the definition and method of the work to be done. Otherwise, the breakage of the steel rope sling may cause accidents.
Steel Rope Slings Types
- Pres Steel Rope Slings
- Hand Spliced Wire Rope Slings
- Flat Woven Steel Slings
- Endless Steel Wire Rope Slings
- Combination Slings
Inspection of Steel Rope Slings
Slings are exposed to many factors that will adversely affect their safety during their service life. For this reason, the slings should be checked as long as they are in use. Slings should be checked before each use to determine whether there is a physical deterioration. When any suspicions case of the sling determined, it should be taken out of service and checked. If the sling labels are illegible or lost, the slings should be taken out of service directly.
Before using, the slings must be checked by an expert person in the light of the following criteria and should be discarded when necessary.
- Unlegible sling identification (such as slingshot identification and/or working load limit).
- Wear, deterioration and/or breakage of upper or lower end terminations and/or clamps.
- Detection of broken wires.
- Serious rope distortions such as wire extensions or protrusions.
- Significant rope wear.
- Heat damage
Scrapping of Steel Rope Slings
If the definition of the sling or the marking is illegible
- Wearing and breaking of upper and lower connections
- In case of damage to the rope terminators
- In case of broken wires
- In case of damage to the user and loss of capacity
- Detection of 6 wire breaks in 6d rope length and 14 wire breaks in 20d rope length.
- In case of 3 neighboring wire breaks in one strand
- Formation of kinks, crushes, birdcages, core protrusions and other type of deformations.
- In case of reduction of the diameter of the rope up to 10% of the nominal diameter
- In case of serious corrosion
- Corruption due to corrosion of wires due to electric arc, lubricant loss and color loss of wires in case of proven thermal damage, the slings must be taken out of service
Maintenance of Steel Rope Slings
Each modified component of the wire rope sling must comply with the standard specified for this component. Cracked or severely corroded, visibly deformed or twisted, components must be scrapped and replaced.
Minor damages, such as notches and cavities, can be removed by careful grinding or filing for the end fittings. The surface must be matched smoothly with the neighboring material without causing an unexpected cross – section change. In order to clean the damage completely, the nominal thickness of the section shall be reduced by no more than 10% or less than the smallest dimensions defined by the manufacturer.
Eye length for Steel Rope Slings
- w: Eye Width (h/2)
- h: Eye Length (15d)
- L: Sling Length (effective)
- d: Rope Diameter
According to TS EN 13414-1+A2, safety factor is 5 for the steel wire rope slings.
Steel Rope Slings Labeling
Minimum expressions for single leg and multi-leg slings: Sling identifier number, working load limit and legal marking, standard number, production date, company logo, description of sling including components, certificate number.